Scientist I (HTS)
Scientist I (HTS)
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we’re seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
The Scientist I, HTS is responsible for assisting in the development and completing the assay execution of both high throughput screening (HTS) campaigns in 1536-well plate format and weekly screening campaigns in 384-well plate format using the appropriate automation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Complete the execution of HTS and weekly screening assays including data quality control and upload into the appropriate databases
• Assist in establishing the HTS lab by testing the laboratory automation equipment to support new assay development and optimization
• Assist in developing and optimizing assays to support lead validation projects: evaluate preliminary assay hits in primary assay, and develop secondary assays for characterization of compound properties, archive experimental data in a data management system, prepares reports documenting the results of HTS campaigns
• Assist in developing, optimizing and performing the follow-up secondary assays to support lead optimization projects: support SAR evaluation, work with project teams to advance the project; provide written protocols, reports and any filing documents
• Design, troubleshoot, perform, and analyze research experiments in microplate format under moderate/close supervision
• May develop new methodologies and laboratory protocols in conducting general research duties within assigned area of responsibility
• Maintain, program, and operate scientific apparatus to perform research experiments
• Prepare and organize data for presentation; present data and reports on project status at individual, group, and departmental research meetings under general supervision
• Use professional concepts and company’s policies and procedures to solve a wide range of difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways
• Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature relevant to the research experiments or program
• Maintain laboratory notebook in a complete, consistent, and concise manner in accordance with company intellectual property policies and practices
• Adherence to good health and safety practices and compliance with applicable EH&S safety rules, and participating in mandatory safety training programs
• BS in related discipline and two to four years of related experience; or,
• MS degree in related discipline and zero to two years of related experience; or,
• Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in an HTS laboratory operating automation equipment (e.g. liquid handlers, dispensers), is highly desirable. Extensive experience in assay development for HTS applications, conducting screening campaigns, lead validation, lead optimization is preferred.
• Experience in a variety of kinase, enzymatic and cell-based assays in oncology therapeutics is a plus.
• Excellent data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications (e.g. GraphPad Prism, Activity Base, Genedata) is preferred
• Strong background in automation and experience with liquid handlers (Echo, Biomek i7, Tempest, etc.) is a plus.
• Significant knowledge and proficiency in development of HTS assays in biochemistry, enzymology, and cell biology is preferred.
• General understanding of how the individual experiments fit within a larger research program to meet organizational goals.
• General understanding and application of scientific principles, theories and concepts in field of specialty and other related disciplines.
• Strong communication skills, excellent work ethic, self-motivation, and ability to work effectively in both a team environment and independently.
• Proficiency with computers including MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Excel is required.
• Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
• Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
• With guidance, designs, executes, and interprets scientific experiments to drive decisions regarding compound function