Senior Contracts Manager
The role of the Senior Contracts Manager is to independently draft, negotiate, and manage a variety of contracts supporting both Exelixis’ research, development, and supply chain functions, as well as provide support on various administrative, intellectual property, and corporate legal matters as needed. This role is a hybrid position to be based either in Alameda, CA or King of Prussia, PA.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities:
Independently draft, negotiate, and manage a wide range of contracts (e.g., confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, clinical advisory board agreements, clinical trial agreements, research collaboration agreements, material transfer agreements, various vendor services agreements and master agreements, task orders, and amendments).
Ensure contracts accurately convey business terms while protecting Exelixis’ interests.
Advise and troubleshoot on existing agreements under the supervision of senior attorneys.
Define and prioritize risks and be able to communicate those risks to appropriate internal decision-makers for discussion and resolution.
Interface with clinical research organizations, hospitals, and universities to facilitate clinical trials.
Advise and assist less experienced contracts managers in contracts-related tasks with limited supervision from senior attorneys
Interact independently with various internal clients effectively to address legal and business questions.
Raise legal issues to senior attorneys as needed.
Handle miscellaneous legal tasks on an as needed basis under the direction of senior attorneys.
Maintain and track the status of contracts.
Provide support to in-house attorneys as requested.
Ensure continuity and improvement in the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of the contracting process.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· BS/BA degree in a related discipline and eight years of related experience; or,
· JD preferred and five years of related experience; or
· Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience/The Ideal for Successful Entry into Job:
· Three to five years of in-house experience at a biotechnology, pharmaceutical, or high-tech company, with demonstrated experience in contract drafting, negotiation, and management.
· Prior experience negotiating contract issues involving intellectual property, indemnification, liability, and confidentiality.
· Experience with or working knowledge of paralegal support tasks, with a focus on intellectual property matters or corporate matters, preferred.
· Thorough understanding of the contract management process, including tracking, negotiation, approval and signature processes.
· Working knowledge of the drug discovery and development process and ability to understand risks and requirements associated with pharmaceutical contracting.
· Working knowledge clinical trials and ability to understand risks and requirements associated with clinical trial contracting.
· Ability to work both independently and effectively across a variety of functional groups (such as Commercial, Research and Development, CMC, Human Resources, Finance, Facilities, IT and Investor Relations) and all levels of management.
· Ability to be a team player.
· Flexible and willing to learn new procedures and skill sets.
· Experience with or knowledge of paralegal support tasks, with a focus on intellectual property matters or corporate matters.
· Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills; must have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
· Must be detail oriented and have strong organizational skills.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Ability to prioritize; must be responsible and conscientious.
· Ability to work under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
· Dedication to quality and reliability in all work tasks.
· Works on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of complex and variable factors.
· Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
· Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several U.S. geographic markets, and we pay differently based on those defined markets. The base pay range for this position is $122,000 - $177,500 annually. The base pay range may take into account the candidate’s geographic region, which will adjust the pay depending on the specific work location. The base pay offered will take into account the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, experience and internal equity, among other factors.In addition to the base salary, as part of our Total Rewards program, Exelixis offers comprehensive employee benefits package, including a 401k plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts. Employees are also eligible for a discretionary annual bonus program, or if field sales staff, a sales-based incentive plan. Exelixis also offers employees the opportunity to purchase company stock, and receive long-term incentives, 15 accrued vacation days in their first year, 17 paid holidays including a company-wide winter shutdown in December, and up to 10 sick days throughout the calendar year.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.